08 November 2010

Veg Head

What a fun weekend!  A couple of things aligned this weekend that got me to thinking about trying out a vegetarian lifestyle - maybe if it is only during the week and indulging on the weekends.

One, my good friend was in town and she has been vegetarian for over a year.  Talking about all of the satisfying and yummy dishes she makes I found that I really don't eat that much meat on a regular basis and would be able to enjoy just as flavorful things without the added meat.

Two, we walked around Eastern Market and I am always inspired to eat more wholly when I am walking the rows of locally grown produce.  It looks so fresh and doesn't have all of the "markings" and wear and tear that fruits and vegetables in the grocery store seem to have.

Third, all around I think it would help me to focus on what you eat.  Not a diet, but to be more conscious effort to feed yourself whole foods (no preservatives/processed things)

Of course there are concerns - I am the first one to admit that a cheeseburger and fries are undeniable and that this would require a lot of extra time and planning on my part.  I don't ever think I would be satisfied to just sit down to a dinner of cold raw vegetables.

Going to do some research and see where it takes me.  Some recommendations:

The Kind Diet
This is Vegan - which I will never do, but good recipes/ideas nonetheless

The Modern Vegetarian
Also, Martha Stewart Living and Real Simple magazines offer up a surprisingly large amount of vegetarian recipes.

beautiful orange tulips from whole foods. great girls weekend :)





No comments:

Post a Comment